DAYTON FLYERS INFORMATION
The Dayton Flyers first formed a basketball team in 1903, under the name of the institution that it represented at the time - St. Mary's Institute. The university officially changed its name in 1920, and the team was then known as the Dayton Flyers. The program was suspended due to World War II in 1943, and resumed in 1946. With the arrival of Tom Blacburn in in 1947, the Flyers became a competitive basketball team, knocking out two #1 teams, landing six NIT finals berths, and ranking at #2 for most of the 1955-1956 seasons. Later, under coach Don Donoher, Dayton made 8 NCAA Tournament appearances, including an NCAA Finals appearance in 1967.
The Dayton Flyers play their home games at the UD Arena, which was completed in 1969. The arena is located on the University of Dayton campus, and seats approximately 13,400 fans. The arena is the fourth most prolific venue in NCAA history and the second most prolific among active venues. The arena is frequently heralded by sportscasters and coaches as one of the greatest venues in college basketball history.