The NCAA Men's Hockey Championship may be overlooked by many, as hockey isn't the most popular of American sports, but it is one of the greatest spectacles on the collegiate level. Also known as the "Frozen Four," the event dates back to 1948 when the first championship was held. The competition has followed the same structure since its inception, with 16 teams entering a single-elimination tournament and fighting for the right to reach the championship game. With many of the schools participating in the Frozen Four coming from Northern states, it's a bit of a regional phenomenon, but it is still one of the greatest hockey exhibitions you'll find in the U.S.
The Frozen Four got its start in Colorado Springs, Colorado, when the University of Michigan faced Dartmouth. Michigan emerged victorious and would become one of the toughest teams in Division I. Teams that hail from the Great Lakes region have won 19 championships since the start of the Frozen Four, followed by Massachusetts with 10 and Colorado with nine. Individually, the University of Michigan boasts the most NCAA Men's Hockey Championships with nine since the start of the tournament. There are a few variations between the collegiate and professional game, but hockey fans know that this is their chance to see a new generation of players before they go pro. The Frozen Four is one of the most hallowed championships in NCAA sports that is always filled with its share of surprises and continues to be one of the great traditions in college athletics. Score with TicketCity - the place to go for Frozen Four hockey tickets.
How to Buy NCAA Frozen Four Tickets
1. Scan through the 2017 NCAA Frozen Four Schedule and select the game that you would like to attend, or use the opponent or date filters beside the NCAA Frozen Four ticket listings to find the perfect matchup.
2. Click “Select” to reveal all available NCAA Frozen Four tickets, the United Center interactive seating chart, ticket quantity, and ticket price filters. Use the ticket price filter, and ticket quantity filter to quickly refine your search to the available NCAA Frozen Four tickets that are in your price range. You can also utilize the “eTickets Only” filter to find all NCAA Frozen Four tickets that will be delivered electronically. The United Center interactive map can be employed to reveal all tickets available for a preferred section. Select the perfect tickets and click “Go” to proceed to checkout.
3. Review the checkout page to ensure that the correct NCAA Frozen Four tickets have been selected, and read through any ticket notes or delivery information. If everything looks correct, fill out the checkout information, and purchase your NCAA Frozen Four Tickets!
Need help finding the right NCAA Frozen Four Tickets?
Our Sales and Service teams are available 7 days a week at 1-800-880-8886.
2017 Season Preview
The 2017 Frozen Four will take place from April 6-8 at United Center in Chicago, IL. The 2017 Frozen Four will feature the top teams in collegiate hockey. Defending national champion North Dakota will have to make an unprecedented run through the second half of the season to make it to Chicago. Look for traditional powers Boston College, Michigan, and Minnesota to also be in the mix.
2017 Frozen Four at United Center Address: 1901 W Madison St, Chicago, Illinois, 60612
The Frozen Four is similar to the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four in that it is a travelling event held at a different location each year. The 2017 Frozen Four will be held at the home of the Chicago Blackhawks at the United Center in Chicago, IL.
The semifinals will take place on Thursday, April 6 with two games. Tickets purchased for the semifinals round will permit access to both games played on Thursday.
Finals - Championship Game
The Frozen Four Championship game takes place two days later on Saturday, April 8 between the two winners of the semifinals round.
Frozen Four Event Guide
Do the rules follow the same regulations of the NHL?
While many of the players who participate in the Frozen Four eventually end up in an NHL uniform, there are a few subtle rule differences between the professional and collegiate level. To start off, fighting isn't outlawed, but a first offense will carry a one-game suspension whereas an NHL player will only receive a five minute penalty. The icing rule is also simplified in the NCAA - in the NHL, a player on the opposing team must touch the puck for an icing infraction to be called. Instead, NCAA refs blow the play dead and resume play when it crosses the goal line. In effect, this has helped to speed up the game and avoid any last-minute collisions as players bound after the puck.
What teams have won the Frozen Four Championship?
- 2015 Frozen Four Championship: North Dakota defeated Quinnipiac
- 2015 Frozen Four Championship: Providence defeated Boston University
- 2014 Frozen Four Championship: Union defeated Minnesota
- 2013 Frozen Four Championship: Yale defeated Quinnipiac
- 2012 Frozen Four Championship: Boston College defeated Ferris State
- 2011 Frozen Four Championship: Minnesota-Duluth defeated Michigan.
- 2010 Frozen Four Championship: Boston College defeated Wisconsin.
- 2009 Frozen Four Championship: Boston University defeated Miami University.
- 2008 Frozen Four Championship: Boston College defeated Notre Dame.
- 2007 Frozen Four Championship: Michigan State defeated Boston College.
- 2006 Frozen Four Championship: Wisconsin defeated Boston College.
- 2005 Frozen Four Championship: U. of Denver defeated North Dakota.
- 2004 Frozen Four Championship: U. of Denver defeated Maine.
- 2003 Frozen Four Championship: Minnesota defeated New Hampshire.
- 2002 Frozen Four Championship: Minnesota defeated Maine.
- 2001 Frozen Four Championship: Boston College defeated North Dakota.
- 2000 Frozen Four Championship: North Dakota defeated Boston College.
- 1999 Frozen Four Championship: Maine defeated New Hampshire.
- 1998 Frozen Four Championship: Michigan defeated Boston College.