The NCAA Men's Hockey Championship may be overlooked by many, as hockey isn't the most popular of American sports, but it is one of the greatest spectacles on the collegiate level. Also known as the "Frozen Four," the event dates back to 1948 when the first championship was held. The competition has followed the same structure since its inception, with 16 teams entering a single-elimination tournament and fighting for the right to reach the championship game. With many of the schools participating in the Frozen Four coming from Northern states, it's a bit of a regional phenomenon, but it is still one of the greatest hockey exhibitions you'll find in the U.S.
The Frozen Four got its start in Colorado Springs, Colorado, when the University of Michigan faced Dartmouth. Michigan emerged victorious and would become one of the toughest teams in Division I. Teams that hail from the Great Lakes region have won 19 championships since the start of the Frozen Four, followed by Massachusetts with 10 and Colorado with nine. Individually, the University of Michigan boasts the most NCAA Men's Hockey Championships with nine since the start of the tournament. There are a few variations between the collegiate and professional game, but hockey fans know that this is their chance to see a new generation of players before they go pro. The Frozen Four is one of the most hallowed championships in NCAA sports that is always filled with its share of surprises and continues to be one of the great traditions in college athletics. Score with TicketCity - the place to go for Frozen Four hockey tickets.
2015 Season Preview
The 2015 Frozen Four will take place from April 9-11 at TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. The 2015 Frozen Four will feature the top teams in collegiate hockey. Defending national champion Union will have to make an unprecedented run through the 2nd half of the season to make it to Boston, while North Dakota, Minnesota State, and Boston U are the early season favorite. Look for traditional powers Boston College, and Minnesota to also be in the mix.
Check out our Frozen Four Preview History page for previews of previous Frozen Four match ups.
2015 Frozen Four at TD Garden Address: 100 Legends Way, Boston, Massachusetts, 02114
The Frozen Four is similar to the NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four in that it is a travelling event held at a different loacation each year. The 201f Frozen Four was held at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia and the 2015 edition is headed to the home of the Boston Bruins, TD Garden.
The semifinals will take place on Thursday, April 9 with two games. Tickets purchased for the semifinals round will permit access to both games played on Thursday.
Finals - Championship Game
The Championship game takes place two days later on Saturday, April 11 between the two winners of the semifinals round.
Frozen Four Event Guide
Do the rules follow the same regulations of the NHL?
While many of the players who participate in the Frozen Four eventually end up in an NHL uniform, there are a few subtle rule differences between the professional and collegiate level. To start off, fighting isn't outlawed, but a first offense will carry a one-game suspension whereas an NHL player will only receive a five minute penalty. The icing rule is also simplified in the NCAA - in the NHL, a player on the opposing team must touch the puck for an icing infraction to be called. Instead, NCAA refs blow the play dead and resume play when it crosses the goal line. In effect, this has helped to speed up the game and avoid any last-minute collisions as players bound after the puck.
What teams have met in past Frozen Four Championship Games?
- 2014 Fronzen Four Championship: Union defeated Minnesota
- 2013 Fronzen Four Championship: Yale defeated Quinnipiac
- 2012 Fronzen Four Championship: Boston College defeated Ferris State
- 2011 Frozen Four Championship: Minnesota-Duluth defeated Michigan.
- 2010 Frozen Four Championship: Boston College defeated Wisconsin.
- 2009 Frozen Four Championship: Boston University defeated Miami University.
- 2008 Frozen Four Championship: Boston College defeated Notre Dame.
- 2007 Frozen Four Championship: Michigan State defeated Boston College.
- 2006 Frozen Four Championship: Wisconsin defeated Boston College.
- 2005 Frozen Four Championship: U. of Denver defeated North Dakota.
- 2004 Frozen Four Championship: U. of Denver defeated Maine.
- 2003 Frozen Four Championship: Minnesota defeated New Hampshire.
- 2002 Frozen Four Championship: Minnesota defeated Maine.
- 2001 Frozen Four Championship: Boston College defeated North Dakota.
- 2000 Frozen Four Championship: North Dakota defeated Boston College.
- 1999 Frozen Four Championship: Maine defeated New Hampshire.
- 1998 Frozen Four Championship: Michigan defeated Boston College.